July is here and it’s a month you can commit to making a difference.
Plastic Free July is an independent not for profit charitable foundation offering businesses and the public a challenge … ‘Choose To Refuse’ single-use plastic during July. Plastic Free July is now a global movement with millions of participants across more than 200 countries worldwide committing to dramatically reduce plastic use and improve recycling worldwide, and choosing to refuse single use plastic.
On their website you can find a vast amount of resources and information to assist you in living plastic free and to help you along in the challenge. By committing to one month of plastic free you are avoiding landfill waste, protecting the environment (particularly the ocean where so much plastic ends up) and reducing your footprint on this earth. By encouraging people to be more aware of their plastic use, we can create a cleaner world for generations to come.
So how can you get started?
The #choosetorefuse challenge this Plastic Free July:
Step 1: Sign up to be counted and Plastic Free July will email you tips and recipes throughout July.
Step 2: Take the Pesky Plastics Quiz to help you track down where your plastics come from.
Step 3: Choose what you will do:
- avoiding the plastics that seem to fill your recycling bin;
- targeting the takeaway items that could end up in the ocean;
- going completely plastic free (finding alternatives to everything) for a day, week, month or more.
Check out the Action Picker for more Plastic Free July ideas.
Step 4: Explore the Plastic Free July Toolbox Tab and spread the word through:
- Chatting with and challenging friends;
- Running a plastic free morning tea;
- Posting your successes on social media;
- Posting the challenge the old fashion way (with posters about town);
- Asking your local café or shop to seek alternatives;
- Pressing for policy change on container deposits, packaging standards, bag bans or action to outlaw microbeads.
Step 5: Share your challenge and progress on social media, tag @PlasticFreeJuly and use the #PlasticFreeJuly and #ChooseToRefuse hashtags.
Kick off plastic free July with a bang, we offer insulated Eco Bottles to kick single use plastic water bottles to the kerb and our Enamel Mugs are a great coffee cup for your daily coffee ritual at the local. Equip yourself this July and for future months of plastic reducing by signing up to the challenge and purchasing responsibly.
Keep posted for The Seek Society beach clean up in Cronulla, NSW, this July!